Preventing Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Sexually transmitted diseases or infections are the ones that spread through the sexual contact with an infected person. Such conditions are dangerous for your overall health state, since they can damage vital functions of your organism. In certain cases such disorders can lead to fatal outcomes. According to world statistics, except for flu and cold, sexually transmitted infections are the most spread contagious infections.
Striving to prevent being infected, a person should remember that the infection can pass through the contact with genitals, skin, rectum, body fluids and mouth. Those people who have a sexual contact with an infected person, no matter if it is vaginal, oral or anal, have high risks of getting the infection. The most dangerous fact about sexually transmitted infections and diseases is high percentage of instances without any reactions or negative influences on the early stages. Therefore, it is inevitable to visit your doctor on a regular basis and get checked.
Chlamydia, genital herpes, gonorrhea, hepatitis B, syphilis, HIV, AIDS, trichomoniasis and several other conditions can develop in patients interacting with infected partners. The risk of the infection increases in people, who:
- Have many sexual partners;
- Have a contact with a person who has other partners;
- Have a personal or family history of sexually transmitted diseases or infections;
- Have an intercourse with an infected person;
- Take intravenous drugs.
The key way to prevent the appearance and development of STI and STD is eliminating the risk factors. Here are several tips on how to prevent complications and spreading of the infection:
- Avoid sexual experience with a partner, who has a genital rash, discharge, sores or similar disorders;
- Avoid unprotected sex with random partners;
- Use latex condoms;
- Do not share towels and underclothing;
- Take a shower or bath before and after sex;
- Get vaccinated for hepatitis B;
- Request a test for HIV;
- Seek medical help if you are alcohol or drug addicted;
- Avoid random sexual relationships.